If you know then you know…
If you don’t then you haven’t lived.
One of my favorite things in the world about being from Birmingham, AL is Travis Food Truck. It’s the first food truck besides the ice cream man that I can think of. At any and every event I can remember Travis Truck has been there. Light a lighthouse for all of us that were hungover and hungry.
Some of my best nights have been meeting my friends in the middle of the night to get a polish sausage or bear burger, and I mean at like 1am! Or leaving the club and we know it’s either Waffle House or Travis… there is no other way.
This isn’t an official recipe or anything it’s just my attempt at recreating a little bit of home.
- 4 Hamburger Patties
- 1/2 extra ground beef
- 4- 2in pieces of smoked sausage split
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese, slices
- Pepper & onions, julienned
- Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce
- Frank’s Red Hot sauce
- 4 Brioche Buns
- You want cook your patties however you like, they are not the stars of this show.
- Once they are almost done, add slices of cheese on top and let it melt. Sit these in a warm oven
- In the same skillet that you cooked the burgers cook your smoked sausage until crispy then remove.
- Add your peppers, onions and ground beef (break up the ground beef so it cooks loosely). Cook those until tender and meat is no longer pink
- Add your bbq sauce and hot sauce (as much as you like for your spice level)
- Assemble your burger as shown in the picture.
- Make sure to ladle as much peppers and onions topping as your burger can handle because that’s where all the love is.
That’s it. That’s basically how you can re-make this burger. Well… close enough.