The Holidays are beginning and ending if that makes sense. Thanksgiving is over and I am stuffed, also I’m kinda over cooking right now. Maybe I have cooking fatigue or something.
I think Athletes deal with something similar after big games, similar to being burned out. I’m looking for more inspiration in everything and everywhere.
The Holidays are just beginning also. It’s December 1st and its official time to start celebrating Christmas. I love how the holidays can bring family together but it can be exhausting.
So if you haven’t figured it out yet, I’m kinda in a holiday rut. I think 3 kids will do that to you. You want to enjoy the holidays with the kids but its your responsibility to make it all magical for them. I’m tired just thinking about this.
No matter how I am feeling about the holidays we still gotta eat. Today I tried Carnal Dish Creamy Beef Short Rib Marsala and I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed the dish, although I didn’t exactly follow directions.
I never do.
Unless I’m baking.
Creamy Beef Short Rib Marsala
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 lbs well marbled bone-in beef short ribs
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 lb crimini mushrooms, sliced
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon herbs de provence
1 yellow onion, diced
2 stalks celery, chopped
4 cloves fresh garlic, thinly sliced
1 Carrot, diced
1 cup marsala wine
2 sprigs fresh thyme + 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, bundled
1 bay leaves
1 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoons onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
1 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large 6 quart dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sear the short ribs on each side until browned. Transfer browned short ribs to a plate, and set to the side.
- Add your sliced Crimini (or other) Mushrooms. Add 2T of butter and let all the water cook out of the mushrooms.
- Season with a generous amount of flaky kosher salt and black pepper. Add the crushed red pepper flakes and herbs de provence.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery. Season with more kosher salt, and toss to combine. Sauté everything until the onions have softened slightly, about 3 to 5 minutes. Add sliced garlic.
- Add 1c of Marsala Wine
- Add the Short Ribs back to the pot
- Add in fresh herbs and cover the short ribs with beef broth (stock or water will work)
- Add cayenne pepper, freshly grated nutmeg, Worcestershire sauce, and dark soy sauce. Stir everything until smooth. Give it a taste and adjust seasoning as necessary. Bring the mixture to a boil. When it starts to boil, cover and place the dutch oven in the preheated oven for 2 hours.
After 2 hours, remove from the oven and remove short ribs if tender to debone.
- Reduce the braising liquid by bringing to a simmer over medium-high heat. Let it reduce for about 8-10 minutes, then pour in the heavy cream.
- Reduce heat to low. Add the short ribs and cook for another 10 minutes.
I ate this with White Cheddar Grits and Lemon Butter Asparagus
I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did and you get to take a nap as much as I need to!